Thanks to all who have made the commitment to Be Fit with me! We are off to a great start at Lakeside Lodge. I can't help but feel inspired by the view of the early morning sunrise and empowered by the energy you all bring to our classes. Not to mention, the added bonus of the two minute drive to get to the studio! I couldn't ask for a more perfect scenario.
As you plan your schedule to attend classes this week, I'd like you to keep a few things in mind to achieve maximum results:
* In order to realize improvements in strength and cardiovascular fitness, you will need to engage in moderate to intense exercise (30-60 minutes) at least 4 days per week. Three days will maintain your current fitness level. Four days will minimally improve your fitness level and five-six days will help you to achieve maximum results.
* Plan for one day of rest.
* Hydrate...consistently, throughout the day. Try to drink at least half of your body weight in ounces every day. Carry a water bottle and refill it as needed to achieve this goal.
* Be sure your shoes are in good condition. I try to replace my shoes at least every six months. Experience has taught me that they will break down on the inside long before they break down on the outside...and good foot support is the foundation of a good workout!
* Although cardiovascular AND strength training are both important components of fitness, when time restraints require you to choose - strength training is more important to include than cardio! Here is the reason why: As you build lean muscle mass, you will raise your metabolism and will in turn burn more calories throughout the day - even at rest! Although cardio exercise (running, biking, elliptical, etc.) most likely requires a higher caloric burn during the exercise, the burn stops when the exercise is over. Strength training will always promote an "after burn" - which will ultimately raise your metabolism and help you to maintain a healthy weight.
Finally, just a reminder that FIT FOR ALL (the ONLY Saturday class offered at 7:00 AM) is FREE and is intended to build community! Everyone is welcome - just be sure you are registered on line. Here's an idea: Get a group of friends together and walk or jog to class! FIT FOR ALL is a Pilates based work out designed to develop abdominal/core strength and flexibility - another critical component of fitness. This class will develop your core foundation of fitness, offer a good stretch...and some great company! Help me get the word out by inviting a friend to join you this week!
Best wishes this week as you begin to...IGNITE THE FIRE WITHIN!